Saturday, February 20, 2010

Thanks, Costco!


Thanks to all my pals who came out to keep me company at Costco during my book-signing today!

Honestly, I hadn't expected much enthusiasm from Costco's grocery-shoppin' clientele - especially when I found out this was their first-ever author signing event - but the response turned out to be spectacular.

I met a lot of wonderful people, many of whom already had my book and were buying more copies for friends and relatives. Swapped stories, anecdotes and info with lots of folks. And the Costco employees were all really great too, and I was surprised how many of them were thoroughly familiar with the book.

It especially did my heart good to see a lot of youngsters interested in reading. A very young strawberry-blonde girl - maybe 9 years old - tentatively approached the table and asked what the book was about. "Oh, It's all about ghosts and UFOs and fun crazy things," I said in that annoyingly patronizing way that grownups often talk to kids.

"You know, I think one of the most interesting things about Kentucky is that it is bordered by so many other states and therefore is influenced by many different regional cultures", she replied.

D'oh! She probably should have written the book instead of me!

2 comments:

Fanciful Expressions said...

Hey, that's my daughter-in-law in the picture with you. I've had a copy of your book for awhile now and thoroughly have enjoyed it. If I didn't have a nasty head cold I'd have been there for an autograph. I'm sure you wouldn't want my germs.
DIL said you're going to be doing a book on cemeteries. I'll be looking forward to it.

JSH said...

After this winter, I think I'm impervious to all germs! Would have liked to have met you, I've seen your stuff on Etsy...