Sunday, July 3, 2011

That Was Then, This Is Now


Tomorrow, July 4th, will be my last post on most of my blogs, for some time to come. I'm increasingly busy with a lot of exciting real-world projects that demand my full attention, and I just don't have as much time to devote to the internet.

That may sound odd, since my internet presence has always been rather over-the-top. But the fact is, this is not the same Internet I originally signed on for. I won't bore you with the details and you'll find I've belabored the point suitably elsewhere, but suffice it to say I'm bored with the internet and I don't like the direction it's going - and by extension, the direction it's taking most of us.

In 1993 I was introduced to the internet by my friend JLK. I was skeptical about the whole idea of it, and the luddite in me was fundamentally opposed to it. However, he was quite persuasive and pointed out to me several key points that the net had to offer. In just a couple of short years I went from being a total noob to being someone whose whole life was represented online - I was also one of the first bloggers, although nobody called it that back in 1994. By 2003 I had a website called Unusual Kentucky, which first had a dot com and then moved to Geocities (which is now archived by Oocities.) The website moved to this blogspot location in 2008 to tie in with the release of my book Weird Kentucky. And I'm sure it will have yet another incarnation down the road; we haven't heard the last of it. But for now, I'm going to spend more time in the real world, not the electronic world.

I'll still be online plenty, of course, checking email and doing research. But as of tomorrow, my contribution to Victorian Squares will diminish severely but not entirely. My blogs Unusual Kentucky, Voraxical Theatre, Revelation Awaits An Appointed Time, Krampus the Cat, Whitewashed Windows and Vacant Stores, Creeps Records, Transmissions from Agent J, and JSHNYC are going into cryogenic sleep.

The JSH Combo blog will probably return if and when that twice-aborted musical project reaches fruition. The Catclaw Theatre Diaries will also be updated when there's relevant news to report. Transylvania Gentlemen will eventually be retooled for the purposes of that organization, but by someone other than myself. I'm still looking forward to cranking out more fiber batts for the Etsy crowd soon, but the exploits will probably not be followed on my Appalachian Voodoo Fibers blog in the foreseeable.

Rebecca and friends over at the Telecrylic Foundation will continue operating my official JSH News blog (with my direct input, of course. I'm too much of a control freak), so that is now more than ever the place to go for the latest "News flash! JSH eats a turkey sandwich!" breaking news. I'm not sure what's up with the actual Telecrylic International blog, but I suspect it's dead in the water since it's going to be superceded by another online archive of my paintings and comics.

I already saw all this writing on the wall back in the winter, when I got rid of all my dot-com websites, including jeffreyscottholland.com, jshnyc.com, jshdc.com, jshla.com, superfrothco.com, catclawtheatre.com, voraxica.com, voraxium.com, and more that I'm probably forgetting. I thought I would miss them all dearly the moment they went offline. I don't.

So what is surviving the purge? After tomorrow, other than JSH News, the best place to keep up with what I'm up to will be:

* My Twitter feed (I don't use it as a social network and you don't have to be a member; in fact, 99.9% of my friends are not on it, they just read it directly on the web same as any other of my blogs)

* My photo blog will also continue for the time being. The mundane details of my day-to-day life will still be over-exposed amply for the handful of people on Earth who care, so between this and my Twitter feed, my stalkers shouldn't feel shut out in the cold.

* My writing blog will still continue to exist. More details about this tomorrow.

Tomorrow, on the fourth of July, we'll get into the good news - all the fun things that I'm working on that'll be better than blogging, and things that I want you, dear reader, to feel free to get involved in! As Jack Lord used to say, "Be here! Aloha!"

8 comments:

Josh Flowers said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Thanks for all your work on this blog. I have enjoyed it a lot but noooooooooooooooo!

Josh Flowers said...

I don't know if my last comment went through but essentially it was noooooooooooo! Also thank you for all your time and dedication. I really loved this blog.

hotpepper404 said...

I am bummed but looking forward to your e books!

blueroc85 said...

Oh NO! I Love Unusual Kentucky. You compiled so much great and interesting information that I would never have known about otherwise. I am looking forward to your e-books (although I am still a fan of print as well)! Thank you for bringing to light the lesser known and more interesting facts that make this state wonderful and unique!

blueroc85 said...

OH, I forgot to add...I am a transplant from Illinois. Reading about Kentucky on this blog has made me feel like more of a native and develop a great appreciation for the culture and people that have originated here!

Anonymous said...

As Josh said... NOOOOO! ;) Seriously, this is one of the few blogs I've read regularly and really enjoyed for years. It was something to look forward to. Because sometimes the internet is just a wasteland. I miss my home state of KY and I've enjoyed all your posts. Good luck with your future ventures!

Swift said...

I hate to see you go, this is one of my favorite blogs and I will miss it. I appreciate and thank you for all the effort you put into bringing us some unusual Kentucky. We have your book, which is great too! Thanks and good luck in your new endeavors.

JSH said...

Thanks Ed! But Unusual Kentucky won't be gone forever - like a cat with nine lives, it just keeps comin' back, sooner or later...