Saturday, June 18, 2011

Death of Lexington Mall


The long goodbye of Lexington Mall continues. I recently snapped these photographs of the bulldozers laying waste to the place. If you look really close, you can see a Regis Hairstylists sign in an open space that was once a mall corridor.


Preservationist and clinger-to-the-past though I am, I hold no grudges against the church that's about to be built here. The grudge I hold, rather, is against the executives who sat in an office in some other faraway city and let this property rot for so many years. There was nothing stopping them from enacting any number of proactive efforts to do something with the Mall. Instead, they ignored it and let it slowly dilapidate, giving a major eyesore and embarrassment to Lexington for years.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on this one. Even though I hate to see things being torn down, it was time for this one to go. There were many things that could have been done to save it or reinvent it into something that worked. Although Center Point is a new embarrassment, and I mourn the loss of the Dame and other fine establishments, at least the field isn't terrible to look at. A painful reminder, but not ugly like the old Lexington Mall was.

vancouverlion said...

I am not a big fan of Southland Christian Corporation as it should be called.

As a former employee of God's Pantry in Lexington I know all too well what that particular church required for anyone to get any kind assistance from them.

I am glad to see something happening with that property though, I have lots of good memories of Lexington Mall, I remember when the major stores were CSC, Shopper's Choice, and McAlpin's.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe it's finally gone (or that it hadn't been torn down already). They've been "gonna tear that place down" since I first moved to Lex-Vegas in 1993.

Please tell me the Perkins is still there! (Though I seem to remember it getting flattened before I even left in 06 - or maybe I'm imagining that...)

JSH said...

Gena,

Perkins still lives on, thankfully! I've been a regular Pancake-eater here on and off since the late 1980s myself.

I marvel at how people queue up for hours at IHOP when the best breakfast-for-dinner experience in Fayette County is right here. What the suburbanites don't know, the old Lexington hipsters understand.

Nicosia said...

Ahhhh- I have spent many a late evening/early morning at Perkins. Lots of good memories there :D