Monday, August 23, 2010

Abandoned Cave City Tourist Attractions


A fantastic collection of photos of Cave City's numerous defunct tourist traps has turned up in, of all places, an interior decorating blog from Nashville.

Kristie Barnett's Making Arrangements blog recently took a break from its usual style, design and feng shui topics to show some vacation photos taken while passing through Cave City. It's sad how many of the great places there have closed their doors, and it's up to us to do something about it. Like Aldo the Apache and his men in the film Inglourious Basterds, we need to organize a determined squad of entrepreneurs to go down there on a mission to help restore Cave City's beautifully tacky tourist trade. Who's with me?

6 comments:

Nicosia said...

I'M WITH YA"!!! I love the tacky fun of Cave City. Several years ago, my family spent a night in a wigwam and it was awesome!

Darkride Rod said...

I've actually been inside that Haunted House near Guntown Mountain in Cave City. It used to be one of the oldest walk through Haunted Attractions in the country. I drove past it all the time in my college days at WKU on my way back and forth from Louisville to Bowling Green. I always intended to stop, but never did. After graduating from U of L and thinking back on my WKU days, I decided one weekend to satisfy my curiosity and drive to visit the Haunted House where Charmin' Charles was tickling the ivories in the window. It was pretty awesome, a home spun construction with paintings by local lowbrow artists and old school Funni-Frite tricks, some of which still worked and some of which didn't. You can read about it and see photos on www.laffinthedark.com. Look for the article titled "Terror on Guntown Mountain".

Anonymous said...

i went to guntown mountain. We also went to the cave close to it. It was almost better than Disney World!!![and lots cheaper,too] It's sad to think about how deserted it looks now,but think about 20 years ago. I think it would be totally awesome if we got a big group together and worked for free and got it back running! Help cave city![they need it]

Anonymous said...

i am with you,totally!!!!!:]

Anonymous said...

Back in the 70's, I spent many summers with my aunt and uncle in Glasgow. They would take my sister and I to Guntown Mountain to give us something to do. That haunted house scared the stuffing right out of me! I remember a spaceship themed rollercoaster ride that was a blast also. The train ride that stopped at a petting zoo where you could see baby "rattlers' which were actually a box with baby rattles in it! Lol! Goofy but so much fun!!

Brian Manley said...

let's do it!